Monday, August 12, 2013

Adventures of a real life missionary! update for Meagan 8/12/13

Buenos dias,

What a crazy week it has been. I have had a lot of fun as the Sister Training Leader this week :) I did 4 companionship exchanges which lasted 24 hours. It was nuts. And so much fun. It was nice the first 2 days because I went on exchanges with Hna Soto and Hna Smith who work in the branch with me and so I didnt have to travel anywhere and I knew most of the people we visited and I was able to still go to the dinners with our members :)

On my exchange with Hna Smith we had so much fun. Hna Smith was my companion last transfer and so we already knew each other pretty well. Also it worked out because the day that we were together was the day that this family invited us to come over for dinner and so we didnt have to explain that we had new companions. Hna Smith and I just went. That day we had 2 dinners and 2 desserts. It was a little crazy. The first dinner was with the Johnston family. They are sweethearts. They invited us over for dinner because Hna Smith and I had done some service for them. Dinner was hilarious. We just joked and laughed the whole time. They are a young family and both of them served missions and se we were sharing some fun mission stories! I loved it. We had to duck out of there dinner early to make it to our second dinner that we had scheduled earlier and so they invited us to come back after the appt and have some dessert. It was so much fun. For dessert they made us these homemade magical chocolate cookies with vanilla icecream. It was so delicious! We laughed some more and shared more stories. They commented that Hna Smith and I get along so well together that we should be cops together after the mission and so Hna Smith and I are now looking into what it takes to be cops. Super funny.
The second dinner that Hna Smith and I had was with a family from our branch. They feed the 4 sisters that serve in the branch and they also feed the elders that work with the university ward who rarely have food. They are such great people! I love them so much. And dinner with them is always delicious. After dinner finished. The other missionaries left and Hna Leos had Hna Smith and I stay back for a minute. So we did and she walks back to a room and comes back with a bag. And in this bag are 2 scarves. One for me and one for Hna Smith that her sister had given her to give to us. It was super sweet. She said that we had made such a big impression on her when she was over for dinner one night when we were there. It was precious. I think I talked to her for maybe 10 minutes and she was a sweetheart. She said they have never had Sisters in her ward where she lived and so she wanted to spoil us a little. It was so sweet. My heart was touched. There was also a couple of shirts in this bag and a few skirts that she gave us as well. I made a really cute outfit with some of the clothes and I wore it to church yesterday and I got so many compliments. It was so sweet. There are so many people here that will do anything for the missionaries and it means a lot for me. The people I work with dont have much but they never fall short in blessings from God because they are always so full of love and will do anything to help another. It is beautiful.

Exchanges with Hna Soto were just as amazing! We worked hard together and she is fluent in Spanish and so for 24 hours I had the opportunity to speak only in Spanish and I loved it. SO MUCH! Spanish is such a beautiful language and I was really able to see how much I have progressed. She was really able to help me to see what I need to work on too so that was great. We had 4 lessons when we were together too and it was so much fun. We stayed busy and were able to see a lot of miracles through our efforts. It is an amazing opportunity to be the sister training leader and work with so many great missionaries. I am so blessed. Hna Soto is also a wonderful teacher. She taught me to really apply the lessons to those you teach which encourages me to learn spanish even more so that I am able to communicate better with people.

The next two days I spent time with Sister Rosier and Sister Stewart in Johnstown, CO. Which is only about 20-30 minutes away from where I live. It was fun to have that experience with each of them.

Sister Stewart and I stayed busy the entire day. We had 6 lessons and were able serve the people quite a bit. For dinner we ate with a sweet sweet family. The husband served his mission in El Salvador and so he had me give the blessing over the food in Spanish. I was grateful because I feel more comfortable praying in Spanish now. I really felt like I was able to relate to this family really well and I think I was meant to be there that day. We shared a message with them after dinner and they really opened up to us. The Spirit was so strong and I truly felt like Heavenly Father was answering some of my prayers through other people. As we were leaving the husband said that he saw why I was called to be the Sister Training Leader which really helped me to gain more confidence in the calling. Heavenly Father is always so mindful of our needs. There is a quote by Spencer W. Kimball that says ,"God does watch over us and notices us and it is usually through another person that He meets our needs." I have really come to gain a testimony of that this week and it has blessed my life so much!

Sister Rosier and I had a blast together. She is such a sweetheart. One of the most memorable things from our exchange was that we had to wake up at 4:15am on Saturday morning to do a service project at the Milliken Fire Department. We, along with more than 10 other missionaries, and the firefighters served a pancake breakfast to more than 600 people. It was great. I was exhausted but we had so much fun serving in the community. We cracked at least 1200 eggs, made well over 900 pancakes, I dont even know how many sausage patties. It was nuts. I had such a blast. For a good long while I manned the sausage station. It was fun!

I love being a missionary. Serving other people is where I have found the most joy and it is such an amazing opportunity to learn to love. Sister Vargha and I are working hard!!!! We had an investigator come to church yesterday! And we also found a new investigator. I am so looking forward to this upcoming week. I only have 2 exchanges this week so that will be super fun! And the rest of the week Sister Vargha and I are gonna work our hardest to meet all our goals as we come down to the last little bit of the transfer.

I love you all! I know this gospel is true and that each one of us is special in the sight of God. As we obey the commandments and strengthen our relationship with Him, He will bless us with those things that we stand in need of.

Les amo,
Hna Jarvis

No comments:

Post a Comment